Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Licensing Process

Have you ever tried to call a government agency and tried to speak to a live person? Well that's what I was trying to do, but I had to press this number and that number to get to the right department only to get a recording that said to leave my name address and phone # and someone would call me within 24 to 48 hours. Now you would think with the massive shortage of foster parents that my phone would be ringing by 10 o'clock the next day... but it didn't. A week, then 2 weeks went by with no word, so I tried a different #. Little did I know it was the after hours line used to report instances of child abuse, but they forwarded my information to the right people and the ball began to roll... FAST! Within a week we had a licenser to our home and she gave us a licensing packet and helped explain to us what the licencing process looked like.

Now that we are licensed I will offer you some tips based on our experience...

~Watch the orientation video online
~Make an appointment for fingerprinting the second you get your fingerprinting information since this is by far the most lengthy part of the process even though they do them digitally now
~Take lots of Starbucks and snacks to your PRIDE classes it will help keep you focused
~Make a copy of all paperwork before you turn it in (paperwork tends to disappear once it's been turned in)
~Don't forget that if your children were placed in foster care for whatever reason you would be thankful that the state does all the interviewing and background checking that they do.
~Keep your sense of humor ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment